Monday, October 8, 2012

A Conversation with Myself


I turned 36 a few weeks ago.  I’m not as afraid of the number as some people I know, and I’ve really enjoyed my thirties thus far.  I really believe I’ve gained some knowledge through experience and perspective on the important things in life.  While I’m not perfect, and I hope to continue learning and improving until the day I die, I think if I could go back 10 years and talk to my 26 year-old self, I could probably teach her a thing or two.  Things like:

“He is most definitely not the right man for you – LISTEN to your instincts!”  At this time in my life I was staying in a bad relationship and ignoring my instincts.  I think sometimes, as women, when we commit to something, we ride it out until it’s beyond dead.  I would go back and tell her that she’s correct, he’s not the one, but that the one is out there, right around the corner!
This is the RIGHT one!!
“You are stronger than you think you are.”  In the past 10 years I have faced things I really never could have imagined I would.  I faced them, and I’m still here, and I’m stronger for it.  So I’d tell her to believe in herself.

“You will have children and they will be amazing, so stop stressing that you are running out of time.”  I think maybe part of the reason I was staying with said wrong man is because I was afraid of starting over and not having time to have children. 

“Get some girlfriends and go out and have some fun!”  I was behaving like an old lady.  I had no local girlfriends, and was working on alienating my oldest (long-distance) friends.  I never went out.  Nothing can replace great friendships.  They are to be nurtured and enjoyed. 
Yes we look ridiculous.  That's part of the fun!
“Your body is beautiful, and you’ll believe me one day when you see what your body is capable of creating.”  If I could tell her to spend less time in front of the mirror finding fault and more time on the beach in a bikini finding fun I would!

“Wear sunscreen.”  That one is just obvious.  You will get wrinkles.  I promise.

And finally, I’d tell her that as much as I’d like to jump in and fix everything that is about to happen, I wouldn’t do it.  The things I’ve faced and conquered in my life are the things that have made me who I am.  I’ve gained the strength and wisdom by walking through things, not avoiding them. 

I can’t wait to see what the next 10 years will bring!

Oh – and I would also tell her to listen to her parents….they might just know a thing or two! 

No comments:

Post a Comment