Monday, November 5, 2012

Going Through Something


I'm always kind of shocked when someone tells me they've read my blog.  To me, this is a diary of sorts - one I don't mind sharing (obviously) - but a diary nonetheless.  It's just a place for my random thoughts, and if someone finds it interesting, great.

I've seen some wonderful things since I started this a few weeks ago.  People have reached out with encouragement, kindness and stories of their own.  Good friends have offered help, spent time with us, even brought us food!  It's been a great experience for me.

I've been pretty open and honest about my feelings: things I probably wouldn't just tell someone in conversation.  However, because I have this outlet, people know more about me, and have shown me more compassion and empathy.

Everyone is going through something.  It's easy to become adversarial these days, especially with a heated election looming.  It's easy to focus on the things we disagree with or dislike about someone.  It's easy to forget that there is a person behind it all, with feelings, problems, and issues of their own.

The day I found out about my son's cleft via ultrasound, a co-worker was particularly nasty to me.  She actually brought me to tears in the middle of our office.  I wasn't yet ready to discuss what I had learned, and under normal circumstances I would easily have brushed or laughed the encounter off.

So I've been trying to remember that everyone is dealing with something, and trying to be a bit kinder and more patient with people I encounter.  Hopefully by sharing my experiences, I'll help other people realize that the person on the other end of the phone, in the car next to you, or taking too long in line might just be going through something of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment