Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Just Right Kisses



I got to attend my daughter's Thanksgiving Feast (though she calls it a "beast") at her school last week.  We sat in a room full of 3 and 4 year olds, enjoying their meal and the controlled chaos around them.  It was nice to get a glimpse of her in her daily element.

Driving back to work after I left her, I started thinking about all I love about that little girl.

She is so quick with her incredibly infectious smile.  I hope as she gets older and experiences more of the world, she is able to continue to lead with her smile.

She has a belly laugh like no other.  Obviously she will have sad times in her life, but I hope she never loses it.  Laughter really does make a day brighter, and a life better.

She is hysterical.  For a three year-old, she has a wonderful sense of timing and humor (though sometimes I don't think she quite "gets" why it's funny).  If you've ever met her father, you know she's got a good shot at maintaining this sense of humor.

At any random moment, she might approach me and say, "Mommy, I want to give you a big hug and a kiss".  I was a teenager once.  I'm sincerely shocked my mother let me live to adulthood.  I know that this warmth toward me won't always be there.

Her inquisitive little mind is a sponge.  She asks questions I'd expect from a much older child, and she's able to put entire concepts together.  It is up to us to make sure she remains stimulated and continually learning.  An intelligent but idle mind (especially during teenage years) is dangerous.

She has a huge, loving heart.  She is very in tune with people's emotions.  She seems to instinctively get when a mood is serious, or someone is sad.  When her brother was in the hospital she worried for him and couldn't wait until he was better.  I wasn't feeling well over the weekend and she offered to come snuggle with me to "make you feel better Mommy".

Over the weekend she and my husband were in her room, and I could hear their conversation over the monitor.  They were giving each other eskimo kisses and butterfly kisses, until she stopped and said, "No Daddy, I want just right kisses."

That little girl is just right for my heart, and no matter where she goes or what she does, she always will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment